Thursday, April 25, 2013

Things to never do. Pt. 1

Never work with someone you date, or vice versa. If you are married already, then disregard. If you are still single and contemplating a workplace romance, stop, and continue reading.

The situation I'm personally referring to will be discussed in full detail later on in the blog, but for now I just need to get this out in writing.

When you date someone you work with, everything, and I mean everything, can be amazing.  Your productivity can increase, morale can go up, and you may actually enjoy going to work just to see your potential love.  However, on days that go sour in your dating life, it will no doubt bleed into your work environment.

I dated a woman with whom I work.  We were never officially committed to each other, but dated for almost three months.  When it went south, and our relationship ended, so did the most dynamic work place team in the history of the company.  The worst part, by far, is still having to work with your ex after the breakup, especially if there is any animosity after the fact, and is this case, there is a lot.

While at work, you have to maintain the guise of professionalism and civility, but on the inside, you are seething.  In my case, I have no choice but to end up collaborating with my ex.  The work we produce together is now less than perfect, barely resembling past jobs due to the lack of and failure to communicate effectively, just because we loathe talking to one another.  That limits talks to just the facts, no idea storming or future planning.  Now just the bare minimum is done in order to satisfy our mutual requirements.  I literally cannot stand the sound of her voice.  When she speaks in my vicinity, I instantly clench my jaw and pray that I can find any excuse to get out of earshot of her once alluring, but now grating voice.  The woman I once saw as amazing, beautiful, and intelligent beyond compare now seems dull, ugly, and annoying.  I feel the anger of our breakup fully even now, two months later.  Days that I do not work with her, are a gift from whichever god you pray to.  When my daily taskings do not involve her or her section, I can continue on and do my usual level of stellar workmanship. If our paths cross, my anger rises, I become unfocusdd, and seemingly menial tasks end up becoming impossible to fathom or complete on time.

This blog is supposed to be my outlet for these feelings, but as I type this, I am stuck in the same area as her, and wish on some level that I was a woman myself....

...if only for the fact that I could punch her in the face and not be prosecuted.

No comments:

Post a Comment